Monday, September 6, 2010

Mechanical Monday


Monday we were joined by Matt's Friend Austin from Arizona.

Royce, Russ, Matt, Austin and I started at Trail Crossing and headed to the four way and up to Chain Break.

I had rented a Niner Jet9 from the Bike Fix in Bountiful, so I was eager to try it's climbing abilities. I was reminded that "it's not about the bike" as I climbed the Triple Bypass up to Chainbreak.

Yeah, we've never heard it called that, in fact I think Matt was saying that it was called The Three Sisters by some other bikers, but Austin while riding it thought it should be called the Triple Bypass. That name seems more fitting.

The Triple Bypass is that piece of trail from the Four-Way up to the top of chain break.

The first mechanical was actually on the climb up from the Trail Crossing just before the turn off to Salamander Flat. That was Russ' hammerschmidt shifter cable losing a zip tie. The weather was a little cool so Russ' repairs weren't working because his emergency zip ties were cracking and breaking upon bending them. I think Austin had a spare that worked so we were off again.

Soon the next minor mechanical was with Royce's pedals. He had clipless pedals that wouldn't release. So if he had to dab, his foot stayed locked in and he would topple like a bowling pin. He got that adjusted by the turnoff to Deer Creek South Fork.

Next it was me at the bottom of the fork to Mud Springs. I had a flat on the dang rental bike. I had to change the tightest tire that I've ever changed. Took me about 20 minutes and then I discovered that my CO2 inflater that I have been carrying for two years, didn't work. So I could have been left stranded by that piece of junk, but luckily Russ had a pump.

Finally Austin had his mechanical. He flatted. While changing his flat I discovered that I was out of time since I had to meet the mechanic from Bike Fix in Bountiful at the 1600 N. exit on the Freeway at 9AM. That would save me a drive to Bountiful.

So I left to finish the ride down Mill Canyon. That was where I had my second mechanical. I crashed into a little tree on the short steep switchbacks that cross the creek before climbing where we moved a long big fallen tree that had been blocking the trail all year.


The tree that had my number

That crash broke my Planet Bike light and my Garmin Edge. My Edge actually opened up and spilled its electronic guts, but nothing really broke so I picked it all up and managed to put it together later at home. The light still works with a little duct tape.

Yeah. Mechanical Monday. Although Matt seemed to make it through without any mishaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment