Monday, September 13, 2010

I Showed Up at the Brian Head Party

I did want to go to Brian Head with Bob, Russ, Matt, Royce, Bill and Brent; but since I had just left my family to go to do the Whole Enchilada, I didn't think I had that much of a chance.

I concocted a "vacation" for my family whereby I would bike with the guys on Friday, and then Saturday I would take my wife to bike the trails that I had explored with the guys.

It worked out pretty good. Except for my fork mistake

You can read about that mistake here.

By the time I finished the forks and got the bike together it was late, we left at around 7PM and got to Brian Head at Midnight.

The next morning I got up at 5:30AM to find the guys. I finally found them at 6AM. They were willing to let me come even though I would make the shuttles extremely tight. We had to fit 7 guys into a six seat truck, well that was Russ' truck. One of the shuttles we did in Bob's truck had 7 guys in a 5 seater.

The first ride of the day was Casto to Red Canyon. We left a shuttle truck at Red Canyon and loaded the 7 guys into the other truck with the 7 bikes and drove to the the Casto Canyon turnout and started the ride. The weather was perfect, it was about 7:30 AM when we started.

The first problem was a dérailleur adjustment that Royce needed.


The trail starts winding through trees and the wash while being surrounded by cool redrock formations that made us want to stop and take a few pictures.



After a while the trail leaves the wash and heads into the timber for a while. In case you didn't know this is a trail, someone put up a sign to remind you...



We exited at Red Canyon and then some of us waited while others went to get the shuttle truck. Then we all shuttled up to do Thunder Mountain.



Royce makes sense of the map with Carey...




Carey contemplates the safety issues with the Thunder Mountain potty.


Thunder Mountain has some very scenic climbs, the trail winds through some beautiful redrock mixed with pines.


After riding Thunder Mountain we needed to refuel.


Our final ride was down Bunker Hill. By then I was getting tired and I'd only been riding with these biking machines for only this one day. Bunker Hill starts way up on Brian Head peak and drops down to the road with some really sweet single track. By the time we finished it was almost dark. We shuttled up the highway to the turnoff up to Brian Head Peak. Where the dirt road heads up to the peak some of us got out to ride our bikes back. I rode on down the highway to the hotel to meet my family. Grateful for three great rides with some really good guides. No major wipeouts for me, but I did see Bill take a really hard endo on Casto. He escaped with a sore wrist, but it looked like it would have been worse because it was on some hard ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment